[mythtv-users] Is upgrading an ancient system using apt-get recommended?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 22:17:54 UTC 2007

On 01/06/07, David Schmidt <david.schmidt.in.dallas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Advice taken and appreciated.  If no one responds more positively,
> I'll just take this as reason to get moving on my "production" Myth
> system.  This one was supposed to be a prototype, but ran so well it's
> been my only Myth box for over a year now.....

If you're going to install afresh and want to keep using a Red Hat
derived distribution, think about moving from Fedora to CentOS -
updates and MythTV packages are available from atrpms.net, but the
life of the project and support if much longer-term than any Fedora
install would be. If you don't need the very latest bells and whistles
from F7 and prefer stability, think about upgrading to CentOS 4 or 5.

If you are installing afresh, you can partition your disk to make
future whole-system upgrades less painful - create separate
partition(s) for your video and /home data to keep that separate from
the rest of the system.

--
Nick

MythTV Official wiki: