[mythtv-users] Wireless frontends HD and Apple Tv - tanscoding to SD

Tim Litwiller timlitw at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 02:38:55 UTC 2007

A while back I switched to HD/Digital tuners because SD reception here is so
terrible.  I don't have the same amount of HD/digital channels available but
the channels I don't have were hard to watch in SD because of static
anyways.

The main problem with this is I want to go wireless (802.11n) to several
front ends and I'd like to use an Apple  TV as a front end. I have exhausted
my time and efforts trying to get HD to stream over wireless.
The second problem is hard drive space, I know space is cheap these days,
but my 250 G of space gets eaten alive by 8 - 24 gig files.

On the up side we never watch live tv except recently during tornado
watches.

Now to my question:
Can anyone point me to the right information to setup to autotranscode HD
programing down to SD?

I am guessing here:  tell me what is right and what is wrong or if I can't
do it.
turn on Enable auto-transcode after recording
then under Transcoders
which one do I configure?
then resize video while transcoding
what size?  The monitor is set to 800x600 but I don't think that would make
the video smaller.
it defaults to 480 x 480 does this sound correct?
which codec should I use?