[mythtv-users] Switch FC3 to Kubuntu Feisty, now HD is very jerky

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Mon Jun 4 04:32:45 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 06:22:34PM -0700, Yan-Fa Li wrote:
> > drivers installed by automatix2, as well as the many multimedia
> > players (xine, mplayer etc.) which work fine and can play HD.
> >
> > However, Myth now produces very jerky video on HD.   The apparent
> > cause is video getting ahead of audio.   I became an expert on getting
> > Myth working on the old system, but none of the tricks are working here.
> >

> Try the Events option under "Device".
>
>     Option "UseEvents"
>
> Yan

Ah, so it's an artifact of the new 9000 series drivers.  Yes, this
has improved things.   Still can't play HDTV mp4 and wmv videos
without some stutter.  They also have problems (but fewer) in
the standalone players, though CPU is not pegged (not nearly on
my core 2 duo) so I expect those problems are deeper, but not
as important.

Curiously, the nvidia program on power fail reboot rewrote my xorg.conf so I
hope it doesn't do that again.

Now I'm off to find out why "mem" doesn't show up in /sys/power/state.
Sigh.   And the cause of the wavering for 20 minutes after boot or
wakeup from dpms.  That sounds like an artifact of the card warming
up or something but it wasn't present under the old drivers so I
am going to pound on it a bit more.