[mythtv-users] Hauppauge 350 dvd playback no sound

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Mon Jun 4 13:53:30 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 06:38 -0700, robinlee_r at yahoo.com wrote:
> I read somewhere that if I plug the sound output to the input of the
> sound card, in this case a onboard mic input I guess as I don't have a
> sound card on this machine, I should be able to get sound out as I get
> it for live tv, but shouldn't I get the sound out already as it sound
> output from the 350 is connected to the TV sound in plugs?

I'm not completely sure what the above paragraph means. However, you
should understand that using the PVR-350 for TV playback and to play a
DVD is entirely different sound-wise. The PVR-350 records an MPEG
stream, which contains both sound and video. To play it back, one simply
sends the whole stream back to the PVR-350, which decodes it and sends
video and sound out its outputs.

The PVR-350 can also be used as a general purpose video device, which
you use to display the MythTV GUI and play DVDs. However, it cannot be
used as a general purpose audio output device. To get any sound out of
the machine other than from TV playback, one needs to use either built
in sound or an added sound card. In either case, you probably want to
connect the sound output from the PVR-350 to the "line in" (not
microphone) input of the sound card and connect the output of that card
to your TV or receiver, since this setup usually simplifies audio
routing and control.
--
Jonathan Rogers <jonner at teegra.net>