[mythtv-users] How to mark a tuner as "never use to record"

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Wed Jun 6 18:30:00 UTC 2007

greg at nodecam.com wrote:
>>> info to link up to the scanned channels.  I have to keep changing that
>>> setting (and stopping the backend/recording in the process) as I go from
>>> usage mode to tinkering mode.  This is suboptimal.
>>>
>>> How can the be better achieved?
>> I don't currently know of way to leave an input completely configured
>> and be absolutely sure Myth won't try to use it.  It's on my list of

Maybe an inactive flag in cardinput and a checkbox in Input
connections? This could be honored only in BUQ so the input
is available for live but nothing gets scheduled for that
cardinputid.

>> things to do, but there's no telling when I'll get to it.  What you
>> can do, however, is go into the input editor in mythtv-setup and lower
>> the "Input Priority" to a very low value.  This will cause the
>> scheduler to not use that input except in extreme cases.

Generally, one lower than any other input should do the trick
and the test input should only be used in cases where there
would be a conflict if the test input didn't exist.

> I did the same thing when I was setting up/testing firewire recording, but
> in addition, I scanned through the "Upcoming Recordings" list every
> weekend, just to make sure nothing was scheduled for that tuner - and put
> an override for anything that was.

True and it should be possible to make these rare enough that
few if any overrides are needed.

> Unless someone goes in to LiveTV and picks channels from that tuner, you
> should be safe.

If "R" key is pressed, the current recording on the current channel
is saved. However, if the EPG or browse mode are used from live
for a future recording, the scheduling rules still apply just as
choosing it from any of the pages in mythfrontend or mythweb but
this also touches on callsigns. If you use mismatched callsigns,
a Single, Timeslot, Weekslot or Channel rule would only match for
channels with that callsign.

So, I'd say:

- Read http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html#ss12.6

- Add the test input last so that it has the highest cardinputid
and thus the last choice.

- Lower the input priority from mythtv-setup Input connections.

- From mythtv-setup Channel Editor, add an "X", for example, to
the callsigns of the channels on the test source. A Single rule for
KRAP will not be a match for KRAPX. This has the opposite benefit
that you can set a Single for KRAPX when you want to test recording
on the new input.

- Change type All rules to Channel for shows that really are only
from one station. This will prevent KRAP shows from matching KRAPX.

- If there are any shows still assigned to the test input it is
likely that there would be a conflict if it was not. Therefore,
maybe let it record and hope for the best =). You could go into
the Scheduling Options and select a preferred input but this would
likely cause something else to be a conflict or assigned to the
test input. Or, as Greg suggested, select "Don't record" and
sacrifice that showing. The same episode is still allowed to
record later if it shows up again.

--  bjm