[mythtv-users] recording defects?

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 6 20:11:45 UTC 2007

norman wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 19:29 +0100, John Pilkington wrote:
>
>> Probably the simplest suggestion would be to record more slowly onto a
>> good quality DVD-R and use the 'verify' setting.  If your player's
>> reading is below par you might still have problems, of course, but it
>> would give it a better chance.
>>

> My thanks to all of you who have responded to my dilemma. It looks as
> though the answer is to get a better DVD player. The trouble is that
> when one looks at the specs of DVD players there does not seem to be any
> clue as to their ability to read DVD-R discs. They all say that they
> read a list of DVDs including DVD-R. Mine does, but clearly, not good
> enough.

Simple test. Take a typical and problem disk with you when you go to the
store. Try to play them both. Surprisingly, the cheaper players did a
better job than the pricy ones last time I looked. I no longer have a
stand-alone dvd player as all tv's in the house are controlled by myth
frontends and all my dvd's are on the backend as .iso files.