[mythtv-users] Any DVB-T card that can be used with a VCR?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 00:18:29 UTC 2007

On 06/06/07, David Segall <david at segall.net> wrote:
> I have a DVICO DVB-T Plus and a Winfast DTV1000 T. Although they both
> accept a video input signal from the VCR that can be processed by MythTV
> they seem to rely on a direct connection between the VCR and the sound
> card for audio (the DVICO card includes an internal cable for the
> connection). The inevitable result is that, by the time MythTV has
> processed the video signal, the video and audio are out of synch.

Is you CPU fast enough for software encoding? You shouldn't really
have a problem with a current CPU - do you have the audio setup
correctly? You should plug the audio cable from the VCR into Line-in,
and in the mixer settings, mute and enable record on Line-In. There is
a lag encoding video, so if you have hearing the 'live' audio ahead of
the video, this could be the problem.

> I would like to play video tapes and transfer them to DVD. Has anyone
> managed to do that? Ideally with one of the above cards but I am willing
> to buy a new DVB-T card to obtain this facillity.

As Steve mentioned, the easiest way to accomplish this is with a
hardware MPEG-2 capture card, of which the Hauppauge cards listed are
the most popular and best supported under Linux with the ivtv driver.
They have audio and video inputs on the card itself, and all of the
video encoding is done on the card, meaning your CPU is untaxed during
recordings. Most DVB-T cards with analog inputs are framegrabbers
which rely on the host CPU to do all of the video encoding, and rely
on the soundcard for audio capture, as you have seen.

--
Nick

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/