[mythtv-users] New forum to discuss MythTV

Braindead Braindead at diablops.com
Thu Jun 7 15:55:15 UTC 2007

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 16:44:40 +0100
Leigh Porter <leigh at leighporter.org> wrote:

> Braindead wrote:
> > On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 08:03:12 +0100

> >> Nice idea, some folks people prefer using forums to mailing lists;
> >> search facilities, grouping by topic, etc. Over time, perhaps some
> >> of the experts will frequent there, too...
> >
> > If you want to organize this list by thread, simply get a reader
> > that can do that.  Google is a fine search facility.
> >
> > I've never understood why anyone would want to use a web forum, for
> > every byte of real information you end up transferring 100's of
> > bytes of bloated HTML, graphics, etc.. Sure, most people aren't on
> > dialup anymore, but that's no reason to waste bandwidth.  Same
> > thing that happened with every windoze application out there, bloat
> > bloat bloat.  Anybody remember how fast Wordstar was?.. ;-)
> >
> > Oh.. the pritty pictures...oooh..
> >
> > I'll stick with mailing lists when possible myself, but to each his
> > own.
>
> But with a mailing list you receive every single message no matter
> wether you want to read it or not. I expect most people dont bother
> reading most messages on the lists they subsribe to. So for them a
> web forum may in fact save bandwidth.

I guess it depends on what percentage of the messages you read.  If you read a very very small percent I'd imagine it's worth it.  Just getting to the index of a webforum likely transmits as much data as a dozen or more messages. (of course depending on ads, graphics..etc).

That is a good point though.  I prefer to browse pretty much everything here, even if the subject doesn't immediately interest me.  A lot of times it ends up being good info I may use in the future.