[mythtv-users] Better subject lines, please [was New forum to discuss MythTV]

Lan Barnes lan at falleagle.net
Thu Jun 7 18:20:18 UTC 2007

On Thu, June 7, 2007 11:14 am, Lan Barnes wrote:

> On Thu, June 7, 2007 10:55 am, Craig Partin wrote:
>> Does anyone else find it odd that this person has never made a single
post on this list and yet wants to start a forum with a very generic
announcement email?

address is http://www.Xforum.com

> Point taken.
>
> In his defense, this is a very high volume list and not everyone has the
patience, experience, or tool set to manage such an avalanche of helpful
stuff.

> To me, it would be a greater evil to have multiple lists to monitor (I
have that in the biodiesel world, and it can be annoying).

> FWIW, I have a MYTH mailbox they're all dumped into, a myth.save box for
ones I want to act on, and a myth.temp box for those I want to review to
see if they're worth saving. This post won't make it to temp ;-)

While I'm on the subject, everyone and newbies especially, please be aware
that your subject lines on a list like this NEED to tell a potential
reader what's inside the post. Subject lines like:

  HELP HELP!! I NEED HELP RIGHT NOW!!!

... in addition to being offenses against both the shift and the
exclamation point keys, do not tell me if I am interested or even
qualified to offer help. Personally, I delete them w/o opening them.
Life's too short and the list is too long.

--
Lan Barnes

SCM Analyst              Linux Guy
Tcl/Tk Enthusiast        Biodiesel Brewer