[mythtv-users] Previously recorded shows get re-recorded

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jun 8 17:41:53 UTC 2007

On 06/08/2007 12:53 PM, Cameron Dale wrote:
> On 6/8/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
>> In SVN trunk there's an option:
>>
>> Re-record watched programs
>> If set, programs that have been marked as watched and are auto-expired
>> will be re-recorded if they are shown again.
>>
>> which is on by default but allows you to turn it off so that Myth will
>> allow autoexpired shows you've already watched to be autoexpired such
>> that they won't re-record.  It won't be backported to 0.20 because it
>> relies on the new watched flag (new feature).
>>
> I'm using SVN from Feb 23 (svn 12825, from the marillat Debian
> packages),

SVN trunk (=development), not SVN 0.20-fixes.  I don't know which the
packages you're using provide, but if you're using the right version,
you'll find "Re-record watched programs" in the frontend settings.

>  and checking my settings table I see an entry for
> RerecordAutoExpired which is set to 0, so it seems to be set fine.

That's an old one we don't use any longer.  Setting options through the
DB is /not/ the recommended approach because, for example, you may see
some option which is no longer used and think it's actually doing
something...

> Since I upgraded on April 17th though, I guess all the shows that got
> auto-expired before then are the ones causing the problem. I checked
> my oldrecorded table and it does look like the new recordings have
> duplicate set to 1, whereas the older ones don't.

Note that all recordings that have not been deleted will have duplicate
set to 1 (unless you change it through Previously Recorded/Forget Old).
Once you delete the recording, the value of duplicate may be changed
(with a delete and allow re-record).  And, in truth, only when you
delete the show from current recordings does the value of duplicate
become important (as a show won't be recorded if you already have a copy
of that show in current recordings).

So, it's not the age of the recordings, but the time elapsed since
you've deleted the recording, that's important.

Mike