[mythtv-users] Commflag and pixilation

Lan Barnes lan at falleagle.net
Sat Jun 9 23:35:55 UTC 2007

I have written several plaintive queries about pixilation when watching
recordings or live baseball games. This expresses itself as a squared off
smear of block colors on rapid lateral panning or movement.

Now something interesting has happened. Somehow (sorry I can't be more
specific, but I'm a newb fumbling around) I have accidentally turned off
commercial flagging in baseball. It still takes place in, for example, The
Daily Show, so I have no idea what I did. Maybe something stupid in
recording profiles. (If anyone can make a guess, I'd love to hear.)

So now I have to FF through baseball commercials ... BUT, the pixilation
is gone.

My newb guess is that my CPU lacks the horse power to do both commflagg
and playback. For the curious:

[lbarnes at xena ~]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 1666.517
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up ts
bogomips        : 3334.75
clflush size    : 32

So I would love remarks back on the possible validity of my guess, and
maybe hints on what I did to the comm flagging so I can turn it off and on
on purpose.

TIA,

--
Lan Barnes

SCM Analyst              Linux Guy
Tcl/Tk Enthusiast        Biodiesel Brewer