[mythtv-users] Commflag and pixilation

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 10 02:30:45 UTC 2007

Lan Barnes wrote:
> I have written several plaintive queries about pixilation when watching
> recordings or live baseball games. This expresses itself as a squared off
> smear of block colors on rapid lateral panning or movement.
>
> Now something interesting has happened. Somehow (sorry I can't be more
> specific, but I'm a newb fumbling around) I have accidentally turned off
> commercial flagging in baseball. It still takes place in, for example, The
> Daily Show, so I have no idea what I did. Maybe something stupid in
> recording profiles. (If anyone can make a guess, I'd love to hear.)
>
> So now I have to FF through baseball commercials ... BUT, the pixilation
> is gone.
>
> My newb guess is that my CPU lacks the horse power to do both commflagg
> and playback. For the curious:
>
> [lbarnes at xena ~]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 8
> model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+
> stepping        : 0
> cpu MHz         : 1666.517
> cache size      : 256 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 1
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
> cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up ts
> bogomips        : 3334.75
> clflush size    : 32
>
> So I would love remarks back on the possible validity of my guess, and
> maybe hints on what I did to the comm flagging so I can turn it off and on
> on purpose.

I dont know what you did to disable comm flagging on only the one
recording but a check of the recording schedule for that program will
probably show  the reason why. One big thing that could be causing your
pixelization is the real time comm flagging. That uses lots of cpu and
from what I have seen so far does not work well anyways. Change your
settings to start comm flagging after the recording finishes which is
the default mode. Another thing that I found helpful was to change the
hours flagging would run to start at say 1AM and run to 7AM. This has
the effect of delaying flagging until after normal viewing hours when
the machine is idle. If you decide to run the flagging after hours, you
can bump the number of flagging processes to 3 so that more programs
flag at the same time. Of course this means that if you like to watch
things the same day they record you will not have any commercial
flagging. Such is life with a pokey processor like yours. (Mine used to
be that slow but I upgraded to a overclocked 3000+Mobile and life is
better now.)