[mythtv-users] Announcing (yet another) desktop remote control (telnet gui) - this time in Flash/Apollo

Jim Hayes hayes.jim at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 19:42:32 UTC 2007

On 6/9/07, Ross Campbell <ross.campbell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/7/07, Jim Hayes <hayes.jim at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I realise there are many existing implementations of a gui for the
> frontend telnet interface,
> > but I've been kicking the tyres of adobe flash/flex recently and decided
> to implement
> > my own, which you are very welcome to share.
>
> First off, thanks Jim!
>
> > Why would you care ? Well, there's a desktop application (with the adobe
> apollo
> > alpha) for both windows and mac, and the flash player version can be
> used on
> > any platform that has a flash player.
>
> I used the Applo application under Windows and it pretty much just worked.
>
> > Personally I would have appreciated it before I got my IR remote
> working, and I still
> > find it easier if I'm at my PC to use this than pick up the remote
> (assuming it is
> > within reach, which is not always the case)
>
> I appreciate being able to have an "extra" remote when I've got the
> laptop and my wife has the remote :)
>
> > It's early days, and I can't pretend that it's either original or
> necessarily any good,
> > but I would appreciate any feedback, encouragement or constructive
> critisism you
> > may care to offer.
>
> My 2 cents: You have three very equal-looking buttons in two vertical
> rows that provide vol up/down and chan up/down. I was somewhat
> visually confused by the 3rd button. To me, volume up/down and channel
> up/down are fundamental enough that they should be more visually
> distinct.
>
> ... oh, and your apps needs an icon ;)
>
> -Ross

Many thanks for for your thoughts Ross,
glad to hear it works for you and you (if not the wife!) find it useful!

Thanks for your comments, I still need to have a further look at the
interface (preferably having asked some friends who actually have some
design skills, as opposed to my lack of). Ditto for icon, it's more of a
case of not having one or the skills to do one.

Regards,
Jim.