[mythtv-users] HD Homerun Tuning Problems

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 11 10:07:02 UTC 2007

Kirk Bocek wrote:
> R. G. Newbury wrote:
>
>> Scanning, as such, is NOT broken in mythtv. What generally is broken is
>> what cableco's send us: a stripped stream with no identifying data, on
>> an arbitrary frequency, with an arbitrary serviceid, and listed on a
>> different and arbitrary channel number on zap2it.com. Myth properly
>> reports what it can tell: the frequency and serviceid of an unencrypted
>> stream. It's up to us to match up the rest of the information....
>>

> I'm not picking you Geoff, but why, then, does the GUI app for the HDHR as
> well as the *two* flat screens I have with built-in tuners scan and find these
> 'missing' channels just fine. In fact it's with those three tools that I've
> built up my manual list that cross-references digital channel, service number,
> program channel, call sign and XMLTVID.
>
> Why is Myth having a problem with *some* of the channels? And it can see
> *some* service numbers on one multiplex but not others.

That is because it IS broken, despite what Geoff says. There are two
significant issues with the myth scanner as documented by recent tickets
in SVN.

1. Transports with a stream labeled 0.0 will cause all streams to not be
added to the database.
2. Transports with both a HD and SD stream will cause all streams to not
be added to the database.

There is supposed to be work being done to correct these and other
problems with the channel scanner however nothing has come out of the
branch in several weeks. Perhaps the dev is finding it harder than
expected or maybe it requires a complete re-write of the code. I just
hope its fixed soon.

Bill