[mythtv-users] Details on Nvidia 6200 (was:Best nvidia video card for Myth)

Thomas Kessler electronikjunkie at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 15:41:12 UTC 2007

On 6/12/07, MartinG <gronslet at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/12/07, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> > I'm thrilled with my 6200. It's not fanless because I bought one of the
> > first models that came out and it's overclocked, but there are fanless
> ones
> > now. You only need to worry about a black and white overlay if you're
> > running with XvMC. If you have enough processing power to not need XvMC,
> any
> > of the nvidia cards will function properly.
>
> Good to hear someone recommend the 6200 :)
>
> I've got one of those myself:
> # lspci -v -s01:00.0
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV44A [GeForce
> 6200] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
>         Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device 81c7
>         Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 248, IRQ 17
>         Memory at 81000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
>         Memory at 90000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
>         Memory at 82000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
>         [virtual] Expansion ROM at 80200000 [disabled] [size=128K]
>         Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2
>         Capabilities: [44] AGP version 3.0
>

> but I haven't had any good experience with TV-out on that card. I use
> an old CRT TV, and run mythtv using the composite output.
>
> I've search the archives, and google'd around, but haven't been able
> to digest the information overfow, and tracing threads changing
> subject but not subject line is a bit tedious ;)
>
> Anyhow, my problem is that I get a lot of tearing in the picture (both
> when watching liveTV and for example DVD's, so it is not a ivtv
> problem (I think)). Essentially, I get a horisontal line about 1/3
> down the screen, with the picture a bit "out of sync" on the top 1/3
> compared with the bottom 2/3rds.
>
> I also have some problems with "NVP: prebuffering pause" and
> "NVP: Prebuffer wait timed out 10 times." etc from the frontend logs.
>
> I've been experimenting with alot of different settings, and currently
> I'm using the following (mythfrontend/utilities-setup/setup/tv
> settings/playback):
>
> Deinterlace playback: off (have tried both on and off)
> Preferred MPEG2 Decoder: Standard (Have tried all)
> Enable OpenGL vertical sync for timing: off (have tried on)
> Use video as timebase: off (have tried on, but the audio is pretty
> much in sync now)
> Extra audio buffering: on
>

> I run both the frontend and the backend on the same machine, a
> dualcore Intel Pentium III 1266MHz. Each cpu is never above ~30% load.
>
> I followed Jarod Wilson excellent guide, and run this using atrpms on FC6:
> # rpm -qa \*nvidia\*
> nvidia-graphics-helpers-0.0.18-19.fc6.at
> nvidia-graphics9755-kmdl-2.6.20-1.2952.fc6-1.0_9755-87.fc6
> nvidia-graphics-devices-1.0-5.fc6.at
> nvidia-graphics9755-1.0_9755-87.fc6
> nvidia-x11-drv-1.0.9762-1
> nvidia-graphics9755-libs-1.0_9755-87.fc6
>
> # rpm -q mythtv-suite
> mythtv-suite-0.20.1-157.fc6

> [...]

I run the 6200 also. Mine is fan less. Cost around $60 bucks I think. I run
two different X display. One via VGA the other via DMI to HDMI. It does
everything great no problems here. I used to do XvMC with HD material, but
stopped. With XvMC I had some jumpiness to my output. Without XvMC enable
there is no jumpiness. I think some of the newer Nvidia cards have better
XvMC support than the first that supported XvMC. Might want to check that
out.

TK