[mythtv-users] What don't I get here? (Interlaced playback...)

Chris Weiland hobbiticus at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 17:12:25 UTC 2007

Your analysis about framerate is correct.  You can get the "full pseudo 50
fps" framerate in two ways.

The easiest way is to use bob deinterlacing.  All of the other deinterlacing
methods included with mythtv by default combine both fields of a frame and
output at 25 fps.  You can configure this in your tv->playback settings
within the frontend.  However, bob deinterlacing can be computationally
intensive, and may be too much for a 1Ghz processor - you'll have to try it
yourself and see how it handles.

The more difficult, but sometimes better, way of doing it is to use an
interlaced output mode on your video card and turn off deinterlacing in
mythtv.  This will allow your TV to do the deinterlacing, and is equivalent
to plugging your cable directly into your TV.  However, this involves
playing with your X config, and I can't really help you with that because I
can't get it to work on my hardware either.

I'm not sure what inputs are available for PAL TVs, but for standard
definition, S-Video will usually give you the best picture.  It is
definitely better than the standard RCA A/V composite hookups
(yellow/red/white jacks) that are found on NTSC TVs.  Also, any conversion
of the input between different types of jacks is prone to slight signal
degradation.