[mythtv-users] Questions about Mythweb

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Jun 17 09:23:46 UTC 2007

Per Jørgensen wrote:
> Hey guys.
>
> Not shure if this is rigth.
> But I have setup my whole machine perfectly running - The only last
> thing I need for now - is the music from Mythweb.
>
> I have setupo .htaccess on the website - so when I want to browse my
> music its possible - but when I want to play the music directly in the
> browser(firefox) I get a 401 - unauthorized access. Is there anything
> you can do so that its possible that way around to play the music
> directly in the browser -. that'll be cool so that you can stream your
> mnusic anywhere in the world!

I never use MythWeb for access from outside my home network, andI don't
use it for music (my iPod takes care of that function "anywhere in the
world"). But:

You might take a look at the access and error logs, most likely located
in /var/log/httpd (unless something's changed in the last year). Those
logs may give you a clue to the problem.

Also, .htaccess is not the greatest security in the world. It works, but
a lot of people understand it. If you have any sort of firewall on your
home network you might want to consider limiting port 80 access (or
whatever non-standard port you might be using) to just those locations
or networks that you actually need access from. Even allowing an entire
ISP or two's network range(s), as opposed to "the entire world", can
keep out a LOT of bad guys.

Just a couple of thoughts.

BEWW