[mythtv-users] mATX / micro ATX / ITX

Brian listmail at miatar.org
Sun Jun 17 14:07:31 UTC 2007

Craig Huff wrote:
> David,
>
> Just catching up on this week's mail list messages and saw your mention of the ASUS M2NPV-VM
> microATX mobo.
>
> I am seriously thinking of one for a new (first one, actually) frontend box.  You mentioned going for one
> of the 65W processors.  Your discussion of performance characteristics leads me to suspect my original
> cpu choice will bring me problems.  I take it that a Sempron 64 3000+ cpu will not be adequate,
> performance-wise?
>
> Craig.

Both my AMD64-3200 and AMD64-4000s played HD content as long as nothing
else was going on. (I record with two STBs via Firewire which didn't
have any noticeable impact to playback) Both CPUs use motherboards with
the nVidia nforce 4 chipset and were running the stock Fedora Core 6
kernel with an XFS file system for video storage (ext3 for everything
else).  The 3200 has a 3ware RAID controller with 4 7200RPM Seagate EIDE
HDDs in RAID 5. The 4000 has a single 5400RPM EIDE HDD. I'd recommend
having more headroom as virtually any other activity (disk access
mostly) resulted in choppy playback running a Samsung LCD TV at 1366x768
resolution. I suspect disk performance was the source of the majority of
choppy playback. Transcoding also resulted in choppy playback. I'm in
the process of upgrading all my systems to FC7 and dual core CPUs so
I'll give MythTV more attention after that. (Myth isn't the only thing
running on these boxes)

I think a Semperon 3000 is a little slower than a AMD64-3200 but I could
be mistaken. Given the low price of a 65w dual core AMD CPU, why bother
with a Semperon?

HTH,
-Brian