[mythtv-users] Cards keep changing /dev/videoX devices...

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Jun 17 18:20:07 UTC 2007

Alan Calvert wrote:
> Nick Morrott wrote:

>>> Nothing false. I'll put my hand up for being misleading about the module
>>> being 'built into' the kernel.
>>>
>>> There are NO module options for the cx8800 which allow you to force it
>>> to a specific video device, as there is for the ivtv driver. The only
>>> control method is load order. So you have to know what is being loaded
>> What does the video_nr parameter for the cx8800 module do? modinfo cx8800 says
>>
>> video_nr:video device numbers (array of int)
>
> The module parameter to control cx8800 video device number allocation certainly does
> exist, at least on current kernels. From the driver source, cx88-video.c
>   MODULE_PARM_DESC(video_nr,"video device numbers");
>   MODULE_PARM_DESC(vbi_nr,"vbi device numbers");
>   MODULE_PARM_DESC(radio_nr,"radio device numbers");
> and 'modinfo cx8800' on my box returns
>   parm:           video_nr:video device numbers (array of int)
>
> It explicitly sets the video device number(s) to be used by this module. Eg, with
> just one card
>   options cx8800 video_nr=7 radio_nr=7 vbi_nr=7
> would result in /dev/video7, /dev/radio7, /dev/vbi7
>
> With more than one card, the mysterious "array of int" comes in, eg, for three cards
>   options cx8800 video_nr=3,4,5 would result in explicit allocation of
> /dev/video3, /dev/video4, /dev/video5 (every time!).

This is a recent addition to the driver then. Definitely NOT in FC5
which is what the mythbox is running (not borken, did not frix it!) It
is in fc6 on this laptop.

So, as usual, there are at least 2 ways to fix this problem in Linux!

( I didn't even know about modinfo until it was mentioned in this
thread! Live with Linux and learn lots! )

Geoff

              R. Geoffrey Newbury

        Helping with the HTTP issue