[mythtv-users] Firewire in Fedora 7, 2.6.21 firewire changes

Mike LaPlante mike at dividia.net
Tue Jun 19 00:44:26 UTC 2007

Mike LaPlante wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 09:43:54AM -0500, Mike LaPlante wrote:
>>

>>> Has anyone tried getting a firewire STB setup in F7 yet? Or any distro
>>> using 2.6.21?
>>>

>> ffmpeg requires libdc api v1 and that has no support yet for the new
>> stack.
>>

> Alright, well I will have to try and re-compile a kernel I guess.
>
> Turns out that earlier my firewire dongle was not pushed in all the way.
> I fixed that and now if I try to boot with my STB connected to the
> system it hard locks up during boot, if I unplug the STB and plug it
> back in after my system has booted then it locks up as soon as I plug
> in. So..... that sucks, there is a kernel oops on the screen but its not
> getting logged to syslog so I don't have anyway to cut and paste it.
>
> Anyway, I'll report back if I can successfully rebuild a fedora kernel.
> In the past I haven't had much luck doing that. Its much easier on
> slackware or gentoo.
>
> Mike

For anyone who followed this, I successfully recompiled a Fedora kernel
with the old school firewire stack enabled. Then I copied those modules
over to the real Fedora kernel rather than booting my newly built one.
There is probably a simpler way to compile _just_ the ieee1394 modules,
but Fedora's docs were hard to follow, and I could not find simple
instructions on how to build just a few internal modules.

These (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=769367&postcount=40)
were the best instructions I found on rebuilding a fedora kernel. In
make menuconfig I enabled the old ieee1394 stuff and left the new stuff
in there. Then once the kernel was built I copied
~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-2.6.21/linux-2.6.21.i686/drivers/ieee1394/*ko to
/lib/modules/2.6.21-1.3228.fc7/kernel/drivers/ieee1394. Then I added the
new fw_core and fw_ohci to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and reboot.  Upon
reboot the old school firewire modules were loaded and plugreport showed
my SA3250HD just like it used to.

This is not an elegant solution, but its got me working for now, I'll
have to exclude future kernel updates unless I want to keep doing this.
Oh well I'm happy for now.

Some other links that may be of help.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=157524&page=1&pp=15