[mythtv-users] Programs being deleted?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jun 19 05:32:14 UTC 2007

On 06/19/2007 01:00 AM, Steve wrote:
> Yes they are but that has never made a difference before. All I had to
> do was disable auto-expire for a show and it wouldn't be deleted. Has
> something changed?

LiveTV (i.e. recordings in the LiveTV recording group--regardless of
whether they were recorded during LiveTV playback or whether you created
a recording rule to create a schedule recording and set the rule to
create the recording in the LiveTV group) is /always/ expired
automatically according to the value you specify for:

LiveTV recordings Max Age
AutoExpire will force expiration of LiveTV recordings when they are this
many days old.  LiveTV recordings may also be expired early if necessary
to free up disk space.

(where the default value is 1 day).  This occurs regardless of whether
you mark the recording as eligible for auto-expiration.  So, when you
want to keep LiveTV recordings, you /must/ change the recording group
(i.e. if you don't define your own groups, change it back to default).

True, you could make the argument that this is confusing to a new user,
but it is working as designed.  The LiveTV group is basically a group of
"throw-away" recordings (and should be treated as such by users).

Ideally, the UI (storage popup in the playbackbox of mythfrontend and
the MythWeb Recorded Programs and Recording Details pages) wouldn't
expose the "Disable/Enable Auto Expire" button for any recordings in the
LiveTV groups, but a cosmetic change like that would probably be
extremely low priority for any of the devs unless someone submitted a
well-tested patch.  (Patches accepted at http://svn.mythtv.org/ ... :)

Mike