[mythtv-users] Is skipping ads really a good idea?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Jun 19 18:39:54 UTC 2007

On Jun 19, 2007, at 11:00 AM, Brian Wood wrote:

> David Brodbeck wrote:
>

>> The cost in infrastructure and resource consumption to constantly
>> blast out a 960 kilowatt signal just in case someone wants to watch
>> something contained on it at that exact moment is eventually going to
>> start to look pretty silly.
>
> Is that ERP or actual watts?

ERP.  I have to say the ERP levels for digital TV stations are pretty
incredible. The VHF analog version of that 960 kW station, which
presumably shares the same market, runs only 100 kW ERP.

I don't know what the actual output power for that station would be.
It depends on how directional their antenna is.  At very least
they're probably getting around 6 dB of gain by not transmitting
straight up or straight down, so the actual transmitter output power
is probably no more than 250 kW, possibly less.  Generating a UHF TV
signal is not a terribly efficient process, though, so the *input*
power is still probably pretty high.