[mythtv-users] Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

Jake Palmer jakep_82 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 20 23:31:58 UTC 2007

>From: Matt <skd5aner at gmail.com>
>To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?
>Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 18:59:12 -0400
>
>On 6/20/07, Srikant Sharma <srikant.sharma at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Disclaimer: I am very new to mythtv so just disregard this mail if it
>does
> > not make sense.
> >
> > I gather that the main complaint of zap2it is the abuse of their
> > system/facility by users.
> > They apparently do not have problem is sharing the listings with
>end-users
> > like us, so far.
> >
> > Is it possible for us (mythtv-users) to convince them to share the data
> > with a very limited
> > number of users?  We users can later distribute.propagate the data using
> > some peer-to-peer
> > protocol. This will alleviate the load on their servers and we can still
> > manage to get the listings.
> >
> > I am sure mythtv users will not mind to share the listings with
>neighbors,
> > if there is some way to
> > get them an distribute them.
> >
> > --
> > Srikant
> >

>Not a bad idea.  Perhaps Myth could somehow proxy the listings and
>then distribute to the user base.  Now weither that's peer-to-peer or
>some  client-server method, it would still require some form of
>network bandwidth considerations.
>
>Matt

This does absolutely nothing to address the problem they specifically cite
in the letter to the community.  They're shutting it down because of
commercial abuse of the data, not bandwidth.  Setting up a P2P network to
share that same data makes it just as easy, if not easier, for commercial
abuse as the current DataDirect system.

Jake