[mythtv-users] Hauppauge 350 dvd playback no sound

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Thu Jun 21 18:45:17 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 19:48 -0700, robinlee_r at yahoo.com wrote:
> I finally stop playing with the ubuntu edition of myth and I installed
> mythdora, better install and no so much playing around, got tv out
> finally working and I can see live tv and dvd veio out ok, but I still
> get no sound out, I have the audio outputs connected to the onboard
> line in, I have mute the line in and set it up to capture, I also have
> the MCP and Masters up top the top and enabled, within myth I
> have /dev/dsp and MCP and mixer selected, I do not have the use the
> hauppauge 350 audio output only NOT selected and I have asda selected
> just below /dev/dsp.

I'm afraid I don't know what "MCP" and "asda" are.

> If I connect the audio output from the 350 to the TV inputs I do get
> sound from Live Tv, of course I dont get audio from the DVD, so I have
> no idea where is the problem, If I switch from /dev/dsp to /dev/asdp I
> get warnings from live tv and dvd that I have no audio and that the
> system passed a bad parameter .

I don't know which audio drivers are loaded automatically on mythdora.
You can probably use "/dev/dsp" as your audio device, but I always use
the ALSA device, since ALSA has been the standard Linux audio framework
for quite a while. This is called "ALSA:default" in MythTV's settings.
From your mythfrontend output, it looks like you're already using that.

I'm still not sure whether you have succeeded in getting another program
like speaker-test, ogg123, or xine to produce sound out of the sound
card. If you can, then that narrows down the problem area to MythTV.
--
Jonathan Rogers <jonner at teegra.net>