[mythtv-users] Mooting architecture for a DataDirect replacement

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Jun 21 19:21:11 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 01:40:11PM -0500, Kevin Hulse wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 10:52:32PM -0700, Chris Petersen wrote:
> > Anthony Giggins wrote:
> > > Silly Idea here why not use legal P2P or a modified version of Bittorrent
> > > too legally distribute this information? this should scale indefinably if
> > > everyone shares their information.
> >
> > The main reason would be that it would prevent users from customizing
> > their listings.
>
> 	Not really. People could download the listings for the channels
> they actually use. A P2P or BitTorrent doesn't change this. Although the
> bulk of data may be small enough that being picky might not matter.
>
> 	For a lot of people, just having access to guide data for the
> national channels would be enough. It would not be ideal in my own case
> but at least workable.

Indeed.

Subject: Svc: ABC; Date: 2007-JUN-27; Time: ALL
Subject: Svc: TLC; Date: 2007-JUN-22; Time: 1900-2259

... which raises another good point.  The only reasonable way to handle
time is to do it in local, which means you need to know which coast's
feed you're watching for some channels and locations ("8pm, 7 Central")

I'm not *fond* of things tagged with local time, but I suspect the
contortions necessary to do anything else are prohibitive, especially
since the program source services are scheduling in that.

Cheers,
-- jra