[mythtv-users] DVD Ripping was: Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

Michael Starks mythtv at michaelstarks.com
Fri Jun 22 02:17:42 UTC 2007

Chris Petersen wrote:
> People may not go after you for using decss software to rip/archive your
> own DVDs, but if enough people start using official forums (like this
> list) to talk about such things, they might go after MythTV devs (myself
> included) for facilitating violation of the DMCA or contributing to
> video "piracy".  Personally, I'd prefer that sort of thing not happen.

This is so unfortunate.  These corporations are making people fear
speaking freely about technical issues and security vulnerabilities
relating to content protection.  I fully encourage deep discussions of
how to break these systems because it is best for everyone involved:
consumers and copyright holders.  But alas, this is not my list to
moderate.  I only hope people will continue to speak up about their fair
use activities.  People need to see if for what it is-- honest
activities of people who want to enjoy the media they pay for.