[mythtv-users] Mooting architecture for a DataDirect replacement

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Fri Jun 22 15:12:45 UTC 2007

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 10:13:27AM -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 09:37:33AM -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>>
>>> Sure.  I was, originally, actually planning on just having one
>>> newsfroup, and taking the efficiency hit of having machines have to
>>> grab all the new headers to see what to get -- because I was planning
>>> on having Supernews and the like carry it.
>>>
>> There's probably a decent argument for having a small hierarchy.
>>

> If we can get entire-hierarchy carriage, sure.  I'm not intimately
> involved with 'backbone' thinking these days.
>

>> Dividing by time zones or geography seems like a good first
>> stab:
>>
>> alt.updates.mythtv.na.eastern
>> alt.updates.mythtv.na.central
>> alt.updates.mythtv.na.mountain
>> alt.updates.mythtv.na.pacific
>> alt.updates.mythtv.na.hawaii
>> alt.updates.mythtv.na.alaska
>> alt.updates.mythtv.na.satellite
>>
>> Why different for Hawaii and Alaska? Because I don't think
>> their non-satellite television has a whole lot of overlap --
>> though I may be wrong.
>>

> As it happens, those are time-zone names.
>
> But someone else suggested giving each program source it's own
> newgroup, which, while it expands the field, makes the parsing easier.
> It's an architectural decision, depending on facts not yet in evidence.
>

>> And why the .na. in the middle? Because the overlap in
>> programming between Washington DC and La Paz is probably
>> small. And satellites visible across the US, northern Mexico and
>> southern Canada are probably not visible from Rio de Janeiro.
>>

> Indeed.
>
> Did you make up "alt.updates"?  Cause that's nice.
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra

Not sure if it has been pointed out (dons flame retardant suit now), but
NNTP is not accessible by everyone easily.  Many ISP's block it
entirely, some offer it (Comcast) but require you to pay extra to access
it, while some do allow for it on a limited basis.  Are there free news
servers out there?  Sure.  But I know of a few people who have Comcast
who can't even get those newsfeeds due to Comcast blocking them.

-Rich