[mythtv-users] Mooting architecture for a DataDirect replacement

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Jun 22 16:09:20 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 12:03:32PM -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
> > > There's probably a decent argument for having a small hierarchy.
> >
> > If we can get entire-hierarchy carriage, sure.  I'm not intimately
> > involved with 'backbone' thinking these days.
>
> There isn't one, really. The majority of newsservers will accept
> any newgroup that comes their way.

Indeed?  Even the commercial ones?  Ok; cool.

> > > alt.updates.mythtv.na.eastern
> > > alt.updates.mythtv.na.central
> > > alt.updates.mythtv.na.mountain
> > > alt.updates.mythtv.na.pacific
> > > alt.updates.mythtv.na.hawaii
> > > alt.updates.mythtv.na.alaska
> > > alt.updates.mythtv.na.satellite
>
> > But someone else suggested giving each program source it's own
> > newgroup, which, while it expands the field, makes the parsing easier.
> > It's an architectural decision, depending on facts not yet in evidence.
>
> Yup. This is the product of 45 seconds of thought, and may be
> nonoptimal.
>
> > Did you make up "alt.updates"?  Cause that's nice.
>
> Yes. Some of those 45 seconds went into:
>
> - what if some other project wants to distribute data through
>   NNTP?
>
> alt.updates.otherproject.scheme.that.makes.sense.for.them
>
> - what if every Myth user wants to do get data this way?
>
> alt.updates.mythtv.uk...
> alt.updates.mythtv.de...

Indeed.

Personally, I'm thinking alt.updates.listings.tv.us...

But very close, for 45 seconds.  :-)

> - what if this becomes the default?
>
> If this happens, I would also encourage (and perhaps develop) a
> config package for Leafnode as the default receiver, and a
> mini-INN or mini-Diablo package for people who want to donate a
> little bandwidth to the cause.

This is precisely where I was heading; I'm just not current enough on
Usenet tech to have the small details.

> There are public NNTP servers which might carry this traffic
> (gmane.org comes to mind) and cheap ones run by high-clue people
> (news.individual.net is right up there. $13 a year for good
> access to all the non-binary groups. Happy customer. End plug.)

$13 a *year*?  I'm so there.  :-)

Yes; this is what I was looking for.  Thanks.

Cheers,
-- jra