[mythtv-users] DVD Ripping was: Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jun 23 01:47:17 UTC 2007

Chris Vargas wrote:
> Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>
>> Think about the derivation of the word itself: "rip off": steal, "rip":
>> tear, rend, grab from. I can't think of a single positive connotation of
>> the word.
>
> I don't believe that the term "ripping" was derived from "ripping off."
>
> I am pretty sure it was borrowed from "raster image processing" files for printing. Back when I worked for an ad agency we would have our files sent out to get "ripped" by the imagesetter to high-resolution film. Although it's not the same process, I think the conversion step of going from one form of data to another got called "ripping" as well.
>
> Even if this isn't the case, I always think of ripping in this context, so there's one that's at least neutral for you.

Hmmm... Hadn't run into that one before, though I had heard of RIP as
far as images. It's certainly possible, but I suspect the negative
connotations are more popularly accepted. Another case where perception
trumps reality perhaps.

> (BTW, on another point in this thread, since it is not currently possible to author a self-burned DVD that uses CSS, I am pretty sure it is not possible to make a bit-for-bit clone of a commercially replicated DVD onto a DVD+R or -R disc.)

Quite correct, see:

http://www.osta.org/technology/dvdqa/dvdqa7.htm

(BTW - This is another case of strange wrapping on messages from the
Yahoo Mailer, at least on T'Bird's viewer. Well see how it comes out in
the post) (Apple Mail had a problem with it as well).

BEWW