[mythtv-users] Decoding a UHF remote

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Jun 25 17:35:20 UTC 2007

On Jun 25, 2007, at 10:02 AM, Jeremy Gillick wrote:

> I just recently got DishNetwork installed at my house.  The set top
> box that comes with it has an IR receiver for tuner 2, and a UHF
> remote receiver for tuner 1.  I've got my mythtv communicating with
> the IR tuner just fine but keep wondering how I can reverse
> engineer the UHF receiver.  I've never done something like this
> before, but it sounds like fun.  Does anybody know how I could start?

This is a tall order and requires some expensive equipment,
normally.  Spectrum analyzers and the like.

However, if you're brave, you can try taking the remote apart.  If
you can identify what chips are used and trace out some of the
circuitry, you'll know what modulation scheme they're using and your
task will be much easier.

Unfortunately, often the chips in such devices are "house marked."
They're probably standard items, but the part numbers are often
unique to a particular manufacturer and aren't something you can
cross-reference.