[mythtv-users] Mooting architecture for a DataDirect replacement

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Jun 25 17:40:53 UTC 2007

On Jun 25, 2007, at 10:21 AM, Rod Smith wrote:
> An alternative, of course, would be to run a news server ourselves.
> Even a home box with Leafnode would probably be adequate if the
> need for a
> backup was light, although if it got too much traffic something
> bigger would
> be required.

I see pain down that route.  While you might bill it as a "backup,"
it will quickly become a "primary" as people realize it's less work
to throw 'nntp.mythtv.org' (or whatever) into the configuration file
instead of trying to figure out what their ISP's news server is and
configure authentication.  I know I'd be tempted, especially since
I've had ISPs whose Usenet servers broke on a regular basis,
sometimes for weeks at a time.

One thing that isn't clear to me with this setup is how the client
can ever be sure it has a complete schedule.  This is inherent in the
DataDirect model; you download the XML file, if the download is
complete then you have everything the server is giving you.  With the
NNTP model you can never be sure you have all the necessary posts.

But I think we're putting the cart before the horse.  I see little
reason to believe we can get the scheduling *data*, so figuring out
how we're going to distribute it, while an interesting mental
exercise, is probably moot.