[mythtv-users] Mooting architecture for a DataDirect replacement

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Jun 25 18:57:44 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 10:40:53AM -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Jun 25, 2007, at 10:21 AM, Rod Smith wrote:
> > An alternative, of course, would be to run a news server ourselves.
> > Even a home box with Leafnode would probably be adequate if the
> > need for a backup was light, although if it got too much traffic
> > something bigger would be required.
>
> I see pain down that route. While you might bill it as a "backup,"
> it will quickly become a "primary" as people realize it's less work
> to throw 'nntp.mythtv.org' (or whatever) into the configuration file
> instead of trying to figure out what their ISP's news server is and
> configure authentication. I know I'd be tempted, especially since I've
> had ISPs whose Usenet servers broke on a regular basis, sometimes for
> weeks at a time.

Indeed.

> One thing that isn't clear to me with this setup is how the client
> can ever be sure it has a complete schedule. This is inherent in
> the DataDirect model; you download the XML file, if the download is
> complete then you have everything the server is giving you. With the
> NNTP model you can never be sure you have all the necessary posts.

Well, you have everything *they* got... assuming they didn't screw up
(we've all see that already, right?)  But as far as the base posts
from a given program source, as I suggested in a different posting, the
poster can serial number the posts, so you at least know whether you've
missed any.

It's my intuition, based on 20 years around the periphery of NNTP, that
it can be made much, much more reliable than it often appears. if your
clients are a little smarter than the average bear.

> But I think we're putting the cart before the horse. I see little
> reason to believe we can get the scheduling *data*, so figuring
> out how we're going to distribute it, while an interesting mental
> exercise, is probably moot.

Well, then, I picked the right thread title, eh?  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra