[mythtv-users] Partitioning Recomendations

Craig Huff huffcs at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 25 23:31:07 UTC 2007

Ben wrote:
> I am about to rebuild my Mythtv/Ubuntu Feisty box.  Previously I had
> the whole thing in one big partition, but I want to do it properly
> this time.  Its on a 250GB (seems to give me around 232GB formated I
> was using lvm/xfs).
>
> I think the partitions I want are:-
>
> swap 512MB (I have 512MB memory)
> / 10GB xfs
> /boot 256MB
> /myth xfs rest
> Does this make sense or should I do /usr, /home, /var... seperate?

Ben,

It may be just *my* paranoia, but I've seen too many runaway log files in
the past, so I make /var a separate partition.

I would make root (/), /boot, and /var all ext3, not xfs.  xfs is good for dealing
with large files and deleting them quickly, but for general purpose storage I
would go with ext3.  I have about the same size disk and made my /var
partition 1GB (mostly because I didn't have a yardstick to go by for sizing it)
and I haven't had any issues (yet!).

I see no reason to create partitions for /usr, /home, etc. unless you expect
there to be files that can have runaway growth like log files you forgot to
apply something like logrotate to.

Hope this helps.

Craig.