[mythtv-users] Is my processor too weak for watching live TV video and DVDs?

Jos Hoekstra joshoekstra at gmx.net
Tue Jun 26 10:25:54 UTC 2007

Thomas Pfau schreef op 25-6-2007 21:19:
> Brad Patterson wrote:
>> I just installed a PVR-150 in my myth box last week, and got it
>> working "o.k." with an older video card that I had in the machine
>> previously. The video during live TV playback was a little herky jerky,
>> though, so I swapped out the old GE Force4 MX440 PCI video card with a
>> brand new Nvidia FX5200 256MB PCI video card (from PNY). After I
>> rebooted my machine, I went to watch live TV and all I got was 15
>> seconds of blank/black screen (and no sound) and then I was kicked back
>> to the main myth menu.<br>
>> </b>Here are my machine specs:<br>
>> AMD Athlon 850<br>
>> 400MB of RAM<br>
>> Hauppauge PVR-150 MCE edition (model #1062)<br>
>> PNY
>> Nvidia FX5200 PCI video card w/256MB of ram (the reason I am using a
>> PCI video card is that this old mobo only has a 2x AGP port)<br>
>
> I have an Intel 386 700MHz that runs MythTV just fine.  My PVR-150-MCE got
> plugged into it when another machine died.  It has been recording for me
> for about 6 months.  I occassionally use it for playback and have no
> issues with it.  That machine has a I810 graphics chip on the motherboard.
>  I could loook up other specs when I get home from work tonight.

I was using a Athlon500 before with a PVR-350 and a PVR-500, 512MB Ram
and a FX5200 which worked fine for livetv and simultanious recording on
a AMD-chip based mobo. 2 recordings and watching 1 was ok as well, 2
recordings and live wasn't.
It might be your PCI-bus though, especially if your using a VIA-based
solution, they're notorious known for bad performance and errors.

Your system should be able to watch and record at the same time, as the
processor is quicker than mine was. I'd check the motherboard, and check
  which deinterlacing you're using, that might make quite a difference
as well.

Regards,

Jos Hoekstra