[mythtv-users] Mooting architecture for a DataDirect replacement

ICMan icman at eol.ca
Tue Jun 26 12:50:58 UTC 2007

The solution with the best model is DNS.  I am not suggesting we use DNS
servers and add an extra set of record types (though that has some
merit), but using the DNS model (and maybe a tight server as the base of
the code, like tinyDNS or somesuch) allows a distributed heirarchy of
servers, a common transport format,  JIT information updates (depending
on the timeouts on your local server), the ability for redundant data
storage - for huge numbers of transactions consisting of relatively
small amounts of data (most hits will be differential data), DNS rules
the Internet.  Literally.  With the properties of such a mechanism, why
is it not being seriously considered on this list?

This can act as a frontend to almost any type of data store, you just
need the hooks into each type of store.

ICMan