[mythtv-users] using both firewire and svideo

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 14:10:53 UTC 2007

Daniel Agar wrote:
>> On Sun, 2007-06-17 at 18:10 -0400, Raphael wrote:
>>
>>> d great. There were a few hitches though:
>>>
>>> It seems that I couldn't compile the multirec branch of mythtv as
>>> provided in svn for some reason.
>>> I got the error
>>> xmlparse.o: file not recognized: File truncated
>>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>>>
>> A 'make distclean' should fix this, xmlparse hasn't been changed
>> at all in this branch.

Good to know, will try that next.

>>> Three other small problems came about as a result of this as well. One,
>>> the up and down keys no longer change channels properly: they instead
>>> reset the channel on any input back the starting channel. So if I'm on
>>>
>> I made some fixes to channel changing in the last couple weeks,
>> you may want to try an update.

Again good to know.

>>> Anyone else using this branch have any experience with this?
>>>
>> Raphael, as far as I know you are the only person in the whole
>> wide world using thing branch with a firewire recorder. :)
>> There are only a half dozen people using it for any purpose.

Yeah I guess I want to have my cake and eat it too. It's just the SD
coming out of the firewire looks so good compared to anything else, but
channels higher than 100 don't come out of it. I suppose I could always
rent two dct6200's, but then I'd be paying more. Always the cheapskate.

>> If you decide to use this rather than just testing it for a
>> few hours and then reinstalling the backed up db, just make
>> sure that you look at dbcheck.cpp the next time you re-install, in case
>> there are any db updates you need to apply manually.
>> SVN branches other than head and 0.xx-fixes are not guaranteed
>> to update nicely to the next version.
>>
>> -- Daniel

Yeah luckily I backed up the DB before trying; I knew it needed a schema
upgrade. At any rate, the svn version I used seemed to handle the DB
upgrade perfectly. It just got my tuners out of order but that was
easily fixed. I went ahead and went back to regular old 0.20 on sunday,
but I'm planning on giving the updated version you just mentioned a try
again.

> I'd really like to try this as well. If I were to try this branch would I
> need to compile all my myth components from the same branch or do I just
> need the same protocol version? I have several frontends and backends and
> only one STB I'd like to try in this manner.
>
> Daniel

I different Daniel here, so sorry for including both in the same reply.
As far as I know, you need to compile your plugins after compiling and
installing myth. This will make the plugins use the currently installed
myth libraries during compilation, so I think they should then work. I'm
just naively guessing about that though.

Cheers,
Raphael