[mythtv-users] Mooting architecture for a DataDirect replacement

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Wed Jun 27 14:38:07 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 09:59:07PM -0400, ICMan wrote:

> I know Jay is flogging NNTP, but I just don't see how you get accurate
> listings, a complete lineup, JIT listing changes, etc.  Would the
> proposed solution put an NNTP server at every station, or would they use
> existing commercial NNTP servers to propogate changes?  How do you

Either. Both. NNTP can run anywhere.

> ensure everyone with a public NNTP relay carries the appropriate news
> groups?

You don't. On the servers people care about, there will be a
newsadmin contact who will arrange it.

> How do we tell people what news servers to point to?

"See if your local newsserver already carries
alt.listings.mumble. If it doesn't, talk to the admin. If the
admin doesn't want to carry it, you can run your own server (see
FAQ, especially the bit about who to ask for feed exchanges) or
subscribe to one of these commercial NNTP servers that other
users are happy with."

> Will NNTP
> server administrators freak over the increased load on the servers that
> contain MythTV Listings Newsgroups?

Heck no. Anyone who carries binaries won't notice, and anyone
who doesn't carry binaries will look at the stats and see that
there the traffic volume is not very large.

> Perhaps I simpy don't know enough
> about NNTP.  (I suppose that's pretty obvious).  But a query response
> type mechanism initiated on demand by the user to a known repository
> that's authoritative seems to me to be the solution which has the
> promise to meet the service level requirements of the MythTV community,
> and to scale beyond.

Think of NNTP as a giant network of caches that constantly
update each other.

-dsr-

--