[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend = black screen

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jun 27 14:44:18 UTC 2007

On 06/27/2007 10:14 AM, Captain Krypto wrote:

>> You know, you really should use a window manager if you use more
>> than one window. And, oh, BTW, Myth uses more than one window...
>> (In other words, when you find focus issues, please don't ask about
>> them on the list--it's because you're not using a WM.)
>>

> I've had the no window manager setup for quite some time now and have
> never had

^H^H^Hnoticed

> any issues related to focus, but thanks for the off-topic
> heads up. Duly noted.

The point is why /not/ run a WM?  Because your system is so lacking on
RAM that the 300KiB of RAM taken up by RatPoison is required for proper
playback?

There is never a good reason not to use a WM.  Only reasons I've seen
are invalid.  (Saves memory, saves processing, saves me from having to
exercise my brain a little bit to learn how it works...)

And, I'd argue that it's not off topic.  It may not be the original
intent of your thread, but by your saying that you don't use a WM,
you're telling someone (who reads the archives later) that not using a
WM is an appropriate setup.  In fact it's not.  So, feel free to ignore
me (as I'll likely ignore you when you post about Myth not working once
you see some focus issues).  I'm posting this for the person reading the
archives.

Mike