[mythtv-users] FW:HD TV's Slow Addoption

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jun 27 21:12:33 UTC 2007

On 06/27/2007 04:23 PM, John Drescher wrote:

>> You think the average consumer replaces their TV every five years?
>> I'd say more like every fifteen years if not longer.
>
> I replace my tv only when it quits working so that is usually a
> longer than 5 years. So when I get my next LCD or Plasma screen, I
> would say it would be a very long time before I buy a 3D screen
> unless the price for the 3D screen is very good..

I agree that many do/will do the when-it-breaks thing.  However, I'll
also say that old CRT-style TV's last forever.  I'd be quite impressed
if anyone's DLP/LCD/Plasma/whatever HDTV will last 15 years.

I'd be willing to bet that as more and more people switch to HDTV, the
average time to replace TV's will drop significantly--not because
there's a reason to "upgrade" the TV, but because the TV's won't last...

The light engine in my 67" 1080p DLP began failing after 15 months and
was replaced after 18months.  Since a DLP TV is basically a light engine
and a big screen, you might even say I replaced my TV after 18 months.
(However, since I was able to convince Samsung to replace it for me--in
spite of being 6-months out of warranty--I wouldn't say so.)  I know
other people with different types of TV's (LCD, LCD projection, plasma)
that have similar "didn't last long" stories.

If you're buying a TV to last forever, I think CRT is the way to go.
(Not that I'll ever buy a CRT TV again.  Closest thing to it that I
would get would be a SED, if Canon ever decides to release it in spite
of the patent issues, but I doubt that will be a lasts-forever
technology, either.)

Mike