[mythtv-users] FW:HD TV's Slow Addoption

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Wed Jun 27 22:24:29 UTC 2007

On Jun 27, 2007, at 6:26 AM, Brian Wood wrote:

> Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>

>> Somebody's gotta bite the bullet.  If networks don't provide HD
>> content,
>> consumers are not going to pay the extra for an HD set to receive SD.
>> Consumers should not be the ones expected to take the gamble on the
>> other side coming to the party.  That is usually the job of the
>> producer
>> in a producer-consumer relationship seeing as the producer is usually
>> the one making the money out of their relationships.
>
> I've heard all this before, just replace "HD" with "color".
>
> I notice that it's pretty rare to see a B+W set these days though.

As other people have pointed out, color TV didn't obsolete B&W sets.

The color transition also didn't involve a new DRM system that forced
people to rent a set-top box instead of using the tuner in their TV
set.  (With HDTV, we're essentially back in the same boat we were in
before "cable-ready" TVs existed.  It's a giant step backwards in
that regard.)  Nor did it require them to master new and confusing
channel naming systems or deal with an array of different
interconnect cables.  It was an easy transition, and easy to sell.
It was also taken up quickly by broadcasters, partly because
advertisers were wiling to pay more for color ads.