[mythtv-users] FW:HD TV's Slow Addoption

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Jun 28 17:41:14 UTC 2007

On Jun 28, 2007, at 8:32 AM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> Amazing how that 'myth' will not die. In the US, Federal Regulations
> override all neighbourhood, city, county and state proscriptions which
> purport to deny someone the right to erect an antenna.

I'm aware of that, but most people aren't going to want to launch a
legal battle and earn the opprobrium of their neighbors.

Unless you've lived in suburbia you really don't know what a powerful
force neighborhood associations can be.  Fighting city hall sometimes
looks simple by comparison. ;)  You really don't want to earn the ire
of an entity that can order you to repaint your house a different
color and fine you for planting the wrong kind of grass.  There was a
case locally where someone was fined by their neighborhood
association for putting a campaign sign on their lawn.

> And condominiums and rented premises are in another regime entirely.
> Even condo's are a problem in that balconies are ofter classified as
> part of the common area even though 'exclusive use' and no owner is
> allowed to attach anything to common area structures...

Yup.  I live in an apartment.  Since I'm not right in the middle of a
major city, Antennaweb tells me I'd need an antenna approximately the
size of a Volkswagen Golf to pick up anything.  Broadcast HDTV is
pretty well out of the question for me.