[mythtv-users] FW:HD TV's Slow Addoption

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 18:29:24 UTC 2007

> > I'll take digital cable when they forcibly convert my neighborhood,
> > mostly because I despise TWC and I've yet to get a consistent answer
> > about video qality in digital cable in our area.
>
> I won't touch digital until I can use it without STBs and IR-Blasters,
> and that means for both my TVs and Mythbox(es).

Seconded. I'd like to buy a flatscreen, and HD broadcasts are nice,
but I don't want to rent a STB, and I really don't feel like I want to
pay the cable company $20-30 more per month just to get a few channels
in HD *and* need to rent a cable box *and* need to mess around with
channel changing *and* need to worry about HDMI drm crap *and* need to
buy more storage so that I record shows at 12gb/hr instead of
1.5gb/hr.

Oh, and all my current recordings will either have bars on the side,
or make everyone look like they gained 40 lbs!

Seriously - have you noticed in restaurants and bars and public places
(in the US...) that have flat panel displays, that almost *ALL* of
them are using analog signals and stretch a 4:3 to 16:9. I hate
that!!!! I'm surprised more people don't complain about improper
aspect ratios.

In summary, *if* I could replace my pvr500 with a similar HD card, and
*if* the channels weren't all encrypted and require a cable card that
practically doesn't exist as far as Linux/Mythtv are concerned... I
would go out and buy a large flatscreen immediately and I'd just
transcode my recordings way down to save disk space. But that's not
the case, so I don't see such a compelling reason to give up my proper
aspect ratios and analog signal access without a rental box just to
get more pixels and use more disk space.

So, in my opinion, you can thank our "friends" who endlessly focus on
"closing the analog hole"  so that they have the right to stuff DRM
down our throats and sell us stuff we already own and take away
existing rights. They've made HD a bitter pill to swallow.

-Ross