[mythtv-users] FW:HD TV's Slow Addoption

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jun 29 14:06:57 UTC 2007

Steven Adeff wrote:

>> Nowadays, with smaller antennas, the "covenants" are used to protect
>> CATV franchises.
>>
>> Or am I just getting cynical ?
>
> But isn't it "illegal" to not allow someone to put up a satellite dish?

"Illegal" implies a criminal matter. Restrictive covenants and HOA
regulations are covered under contract law, you agreed to a contract as
part of the sale agreement for the property, and it is a civil matter to
enforce that contract.

Some municipalities also try and enforce zoning rules that attempt to
restrict antennas, most of which can be successfully fought, but only if
you have a good attorney and lots of time and money.

There are also both FCC and FAA regulations which cover antenna
structures, and some people have successfully argued that the federal
regulations supersede any local rules, but again such cases take time
and money to pursue.

The best defense I've run into was a fellow who claimed that
restrictions on satellite antennas prevented him from receiving
religious programming, thus interfering with his right to worship as he
pleased. His local town zoning board dropped their objections like a hot
potato in about a nano-second.

> I also don't understand these whole "home owners association" things.
> So, you *own* the land, and some random people are going to tell you
> what you can and cannot do? What authority do they have? It's not like
> they can call the FBI and have them raid your home and shoot your dog
> because you chose a green that was two shades off or you built your
> porch too close to the sidewalk.

The whole concept of actually "owning" a piece of the earth's crust is
ludicrous on the face of it, note the position of most Native American
groups. The best that can be said for such a system is that it seems to
work most of the time, and better than anything else we have at present.

BEWW