[mythtv-users] yet another firewire question; difficulty with certain channels

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 05:42:28 UTC 2007

On 2/28/07, Allan Wilson <allanwilson at gmail.com> wrote:

> So this was working and it stopped recently? If so then it sounds like they
> may have turned on encryption on the HD channels. Which calbe box do you
> have? What command are you using with firewire_tester?

It is possible that they turned on encryption, but I do not think so.
I was never able to reliably capture with via firewire for this cable
companies set-top box (HD or non-HD channels) or my previous cable
providers (both cable boxes being Motorola DCT-6200 variants).

I also just was unsuccessful trying to capture a non-hd CBS channel.
I just think my setup is a little flaky.  I do know that it is never
able to capture the HD channels, and I am wondering if the bandwidth
is too big for the capture or something like that, or some other issue
I can correct.

Below is a series of different tests I did with firewire_tester; below
that is the output from plugreport.  Ever test that is a complete
failure, I had manually set my STB to 160 or 161, HD versions of ABC
and CBS respectively), and when on non-HD channels, it may have taken
some time, but eventually would work.

[mythtv at localhost ~]$ firewire_tester -p -n 1 -r 5
Action: Test P2P connection 5 times, node 1, channel 1
P2P: Testing...Failed
P2P: Testing...Failed
P2P: Testing...Failed
P2P: Testing...Failed
P2P: Testing...Failed
[mythtv at localhost ~]$ firewire_tester -p -n 1 -r 5
Action: Test P2P connection 5 times, node 1, channel 1
P2P: Testing...Failed
P2P: Testing...Failed
P2P: Testing...Success, 102 packets received
P2P: Testing...Success, 207 packets received
P2P: Testing...Success, 90 packets received
[mythtv at localhost ~]$ firewire_tester -B -n 1
Action: Attempt to fix broadcast connection 1 times, node 1
Broadcast: Testing...Success, 134 packets
Broadcast: Testing...Success, 80 packets
Broadcast: Testing...Success, 175 packets
Broadcast: Testing...Success, 82 packets
Broadcast: Testing...Success, 163 packets
Broadcast Fix: Success (already stable)
[mythtv at localhost ~]$ firewire_tester -B -n 1
Action: Attempt to fix broadcast connection 1 times, node 1
Broadcast: Testing...Success, 85 packets
Broadcast: Testing...Success, 167 packets
Broadcast: Testing...Success, 101 packets
Broadcast: Testing...Success, 169 packets
Broadcast: Testing...Success, 93 packets
Broadcast Fix: Success (already stable)
[mythtv at localhost ~]$ firewire_tester -B -n 1
Action: Attempt to fix broadcast connection 1 times, node 1
Broadcast: Testing...Success, 98 packets
Broadcast: Testing...Success, 71 packets
Broadcast: Testing...Success, 135 packets
Broadcast: Testing...Success, 75 packets
Broadcast: Testing...Success, 155 packets
Broadcast Fix: Success (already stable)
[mythtv at localhost ~]$ firewire_tester -B -n 1
Action: Attempt to fix broadcast connection 1 times, node 1
Broadcast: Testing...Failed
P2P: Testing...Failed
P2P: Testing...Failed
P2P: Testing...Failed
P2P: Testing...Failed
P2P: Testing...Failed
P2P: Testing...Failed
P2P: Testing...Failed
P2P: Testing...Failed
P2P: Testing...Failed
P2P: Testing...Failed
Broadcast Fix: Failed
[mythtv at localhost ~]$ firewire_tester -B -n 1
Action: Attempt to fix broadcast connection 1 times, node 1
Broadcast: Testing...Failed
P2P: Testing...Failed
P2P: Testing...Failed
P2P: Testing...Success, 228 packets received
Broadcast: Testing...^[[AFailed
P2P: Testing...Failed
P2P: Testing...Failed
P2P: Testing...Success, 115 packets received
Broadcast: Testing...Failed
P2P: Testing...Failed
P2P: Testing...Success, 73 packets received
Broadcast: Testing...Failed
P2P: Testing...Failed
P2P: Testing...Success, 158 packets received
Broadcast: Testing...Success, 100 packets
Broadcast: Testing...Success, 230 packets
Broadcast: Testing...Success, 128 packets
Broadcast: Testing...Success, 186 packets
Broadcast: Testing...Success, 89 packets
Broadcast Fix: Success
[mythtv at localhost ~]$ firewire_tester -B -n 1
Action: Attempt to fix broadcast connection 1 times, node 1
Broadcast: Testing...Success, 34 packets
Broadcast: Testing...Success, 37 packets
Broadcast: Testing...Success, 35 packets
Broadcast: Testing...Success, 36 packets