[mythtv-users] MythTV and HDTV future

Chris Weiland hobbiticus at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 17:40:11 UTC 2007

Something that hasn't really been emphasized yet is that you should be able
to use the firewire port on your cable box to capture HDTV streams.  Some
cable providers will encrypt this stream, but as far as I can tell, most
don't.  Mythtv can control the channel of your cable box and capture the HD
stream over the firewire connection.

All cable boxes are required to include this functionality, so if your cable
box doesn't have a firewire port, ask for a replacement.

For more information, see http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/FireWire