[mythtv-users] Can you share the recordings?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Mar 2 04:36:52 UTC 2007

On Mar 1, 2007, at 8:21 PM, Peter Watkins wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 11:42:00PM -0500, James Talvy wrote:
>
>> Ultimately what I want is to use MythTV to record my favorite TV
>> shows
>> and then download them to a portable device so that I can watch them
>> during my commute to and from work.
>
>> I was just trying to find out if you could get to the recorded show
>> files easily and if so.... how do I get them in the format (ie. MPEG)
>> that would be usable.... See if I can setup some sort of script that
>> copies all the TV shows into a dir on my PC then the iTunes would
>> automagically pic them up and during my morning sync I would be
>> all set.
>>
>> I have been working with Sun UNIX boxes for 15yrs so I am very
>> comfortable with command line and skilled with Perl etc.
>
> If you're not set on iTunes/iPod, here's some info on transcoding for
> PDAs and Sony PSPs.
>   http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Transcoding_for_the_PDA
>
> If you are set on the iPod, I assume myth2ipod should work better.
>
> -Peter

I was having issues with nuvexport not playing nice with ffmpeg and
gave up, but I just downloaded the newest versions I could find of
each and it all went swimmingly. I now have a user job that runs
after select programs that transcodes and adds them to a postcast
which then syncs automatically to my iPod. I didn't have to do
anything fancy to myth2ipod.pl. Just edit the locations at the
beginning of the file to point to my video directory and web-
accessible directory. Then made it executable and put it in /usr/
local/bin.

The tutorial says to use %DIR% %FILE%, but that didn't work for me.
Putting in the actual video directory and %FILE% worked, so my job
looks like this:
/usr/local/bin/myth2ipod.pl /tvrecordings/ %FILE%

-Brad