[mythtv-users] questions about some basic knowledge of MythTV installation

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 12:15:45 UTC 2007

On 02/03/07, Xi Jiarong <XiJiarong at sp.edu.sg> wrote:

> I have some puzzles about mythtv installation.
> We want to develop some plugin on mythtv, I am a new user for mythtv and
> Fedora.
>
> 1. Which installation would be better for our target (to develop plugin),
> such installation as:
> (1)
> http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Installing_MythTV_on_Fedora_Core
> (2)
> http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Installing_MythTV_SVN_on_Fedora_Core
> the difference between them is what?

(1) Describes how to do a binary install based on RPM packages.
(2) Describes how to download and build from source code.  If you
download from the 'fixes' area of SVN then you will get a similar
version to that from the RPM packages.  If you download from the
'trunk' area then you will get the development version of the next
release.

If you want to develop plugins then you need the source code.

> 2.
> http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Installing_MythTV_on_Fedora_Core
> and http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php
> these two ways are the same one, so I can install mythtv successfully
> according to the steps on such guide, is that right?
> But, I always found some errors in such process when I tried.
> and, i always fould other also met many problems even with that help guid.

I think it is normal to come across errors in the process.  Different
hardware software upgrades mean that no two install are the same and
if you're new to Fedora and Mythtv then it's easy to get thrown off
course.  You just have to one problem at a time and:
   (1) Read the guides again.
   (2) Search the archive at http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/
   (3) and, if they fail,  post to this list with a specific question
explaining what step you're trying to carry out, and what the failure
is.

> 3. I have installed Fedora 6, and run #yum upgrade, cost much time, many
> hours, is it proper?

You should probably be running yum update, rather than 'upgrade' , but
I'm not sure that would cause any problems.

The first update generally requires several hundred megabytes so it
could take several hours if you have a very slow connection.  What
download speed do you have on your internet connection?

To speed things up a little, make sure you don't have any of the
'Office' applications installed, which take ages to update.