[mythtv-users] Myth upgrade 0.19->0.20 and MySQL upgrade 4.1->5.0 ?

Phill Wiggin alamar at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 17:52:52 UTC 2007

On 3/2/07, matthew.garman at gmail.com <matthew.garman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone has a link to a repository of known
> "gotchas" when upgrading MythTV 0.19 to 0.20, and at the same time
> upgrading MySQL from 4.1.x to 5.0.x?
>
> FWIW, I've got *reliably working* MythTV setup on Gentoo for my
> parents.  My dad wants the MythArchive functionality; unfortunately,
> installing MythArchive requires an upgrade.  Current: 0.19_p10505,
> destination: 0.20_p12172.  Likewise, portage wants to upgrade MySQL:
> 4.1.21 to 5.0.26-r2.
>
> I live 150 miles away from them, and so I'd hate to break it!
> There's a *lot* of posts on the subject, so I was hoping someone had
> compiled an upgrade guide.
>
> Thanks,
> matt

Well, just today, I ran into a glitch you might want to be aware of.
Upgrading mysql will break the qt3 mysql lib.  You'll want to
re-emerge qt3 after upgrading mysql.

Another couple of points, since you are using Gentoo:

1) I believe the portage-version of Mythtv is the mythtv-fixes branch.
2) If you want new features, like Storage Groups, you'll want to go
with an overlay
2a) The overlay I use can be found here:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-490119-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-mythtv+ebuild-start-0.html

(You'll need subversion installed, but it's a really easy process in general)

The overlay's an easy process.
1) make a directory and go into it:
mkdir -p /usr/local/portage; cd /usr/local/portage

2) check out the latest overlay stuff:
svn co https://www.integralblue.com/svn/repos/mythtv-overlay/

3) edit your make.conf and add:
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage/mythtv-overlay"

4) Then emerge the latest ebuild from the overlay
(currently: emerge -av =media-tv/mythtv-0.20_p12861 )

NOTE: if you just emerge mythtv in step 4, it'll grab the version from
portage (-fixes?) which does not have storage groups.

Hope this helps.

--PhillW