[mythtv-users] AMD guide to building a Media PC

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sat Mar 3 14:52:55 UTC 2007

Tom Greer napsal(a):
> I have a Sempron 2600+ with 1 GB of RAM driving an HDTV that runs
> about 75% busy using Bob deinterlacing and *without* XVMC. If I turn
> on XVMC my CPU load drops to about 30%.
>
> So it appears that you should be able to improve the performance of
> your existing hardware by tuning.
>
> I found this page on the wiki to be very helpful:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Optimizing_Performance.
>
> Also, when I switched from the 8776 to the 9746 driver my CPU load
> dropped from 95+% to about 75%.  YMMV.

Which video card do you have?

I have a Sempron 3000, which should be enough, and my TV runs at 720p,
so I guess I should be able to show HD.  But it fails miserably with
prebuffering pauses and the CPU is pegged > 98%, so something is wrong.

I have another system with an Athlon XP 2000+, which shows HD content
just fine at 800x600 on TV out with 65% CPU.

The big difference between the two machines is that the Sempron has an
nVidia 6200 whereas the Athlon has an nVidia 5200...  ISTR reading that
the 5200 is actually better at HD playback?  Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks,

--Yan