[mythtv-users] Cable box power & "off" (black screen) detection?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Mar 3 16:31:51 UTC 2007

On 03/03/2007 07:25 AM, Mark J. Scheller wrote:
> Here it is a nice calm Saturday morning and I sit down to watch some
> recordings made over the past busy week.... only to find to my horror
> that somehow my cable box had somehow switched off a few days ago and
> I got a whole bunch of recorded black screen!  Not good.  I even
> missed last week's Lost -- so we're talking a pretty serious issue here.
>
> So, is there any possible way to detect that black screen is all
> that's coming through take appropriate action???
>
> I'm recording to a PVR350 via its S-Video in, if that makes any
> difference.

Your best bet is to find the discrete power on signal for your cable box
and set up your system as described at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/DISHNetworkLIRCConfiguration .  A
lot of times those signals have been made available by people using
Pronto remotes and then someone has converted them to LIRC signals.
Unfortunately, finding them is often the hard part--I recommend some
serious Google time and searching with terms that include (in various
combinations) your STB model number, LIRC, discrete, power (or "discrete
power"), and/or Pronto.

Good luck,
Mike